The skin is the largest organ of the human body, measuring about 20 square feet. That being said, apart from bathing and keeping clean, there are a lot of benefits to keeping one’s skin well moisturized. Through a daily basic skincare regimen, such as moisturizing, one can help keep the largest organ of the body healthy and in tiptop shape.
What is a moisturizer?
By definition, a moisturizer is an emollient, such as a cream or lotion, that serves to protect and lubricate the skin by preventing dryness. This means that for one to have healthy skin, it is important to keep it moisturized enough.
Here are more reasons on the importance of keeping your skin moisturized:
- Moisturizing helps keep the skin young, especially the parts of the body that are easily affected by the environment, such as the skin on your face, neck, and limbs. Since the skin cells on these parts of the body shed and regenerate, the additional layer of moisture helps repair the skin faster and prevent age lines from forming.
- Too much oiliness or dryness in the skin can cause other health issues, such as acne, flaking, or scaling. By keeping the skin moisturized, either extreme oiliness or dryness can be controlled.
- Skin blemishes are less visible with the help of moisturizer, as it provides a thin layer of sheen that also protects the skin.
The importance of keeping the skin moisturized is anchored on the belief that one should take good care of their skin – it is the largest organ of the body after all.
How do I know which moisturizer to use?
Before anyone can select which moisturizer to use, an individual must first check if they have dry or oily skin. Oftentimes, a combination of lotion and moisturizer after bathing does wonders for the skin, but it’s best to maximize the opportunity. Choose the moisturizer that provides the most noticeable effects. Dry or mature skin can require more frequent applications, so knowing which skin types react well with certain moisturizers will be more beneficial.
When is the best time to moisturize?
The most crucial times to moisturize are after bathing, shaving, or exfoliating. A hot shower, for instance, will merit moisturizing more than the other occasions, as this leaves the skin dry. Naturally, our body produces oils that serve to keep the body moisturized, and a warm bath washes the body of these oils. It also helps to moisturize right before going to bed, as this allows the skin to regenerate as the body recovers at night.
What happens when you don’t moisturize?
Given the benefits of moisturizing, leaving it out of any skincare routine will likely produce adverse effects. Here are the disadvantages of not keeping one’s skin moisturized:
- Wrinkles develop and grow deeper when the skin is always left dry. Dehydrated skin compromises the skin barrier, and low-grade chronic inflammation in the skin occurs, which then accelerates aging. This leads to the breakdown of collagen and more wrinkles start appearing.
- When the skin on our face is not moisturized, it can eventually lead to a dull and flaky complexion. Especially during colder temperatures, the skin on the face dries faster, dehydrating it and removing a protective layer of lipids. This allows irritants to enter the skin and cause irritation and flaking.
- Dryness can cause acne to worsen, so keeping the skin moisturized helps fight the bacteria. There are oil-free and noncomedogenic moisturizers that go well in combating skin problems.
Take Care of Your Body by Taking Better Care of Your Skin
Gluta-C’s moisturizing whitening soap is an anti-aging and skin-lightening soap with dual antioxidant defense. This means that it provides the anti-bacterial properties of a cleansing soap, while also offering the benefits of Glutathione and Vitamin C, such as the non-drying formula that keeps the skin moist and elastic. Adding Gluta-C to any pre-skincare routine can help improve the benefits of a tried-and-trusted skincare regimen, without any of the harsh ingredients found in other skincare products.
Don’t hesitate to contact us now for any questions or inquiries!